American Samoa

Land Area: 199 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 390 sq km
Area comparative: slightly larger than Washington, D.C.

Population: 55,165 (2013 est.)
GDP per capita: $8,000 (2007 est.)

Aquaculture production: There are primarily backyard tilapia farms, although other small farms are in operation.

Aquacultured species: Giant clam, tilapia

Extension Contact:
Kelley Anderson Tagarino
Sea Grant College Program
University of Hawaii
Based at the American Samoa Community College
Email: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) 

Commonwealth of the North Mariana Islands

Land Area: 477 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 777 sq km
Area comparative: 2.5 times the size of Washington, D.C.

Islands: 14 including Saipan, Rota and Tinian

Population: 53,855 (2013 est.)
GDP per capita: $12,500 (2000 est.)

Aquaculture production: There are currently a few commercial farms and several backyard farms.

Aquacultured species: Tilapia and marine shrimp

Extension Contact:
Michael Ogo
Aquaculture Extension and Research
Northern Marianas College
P. 670-234-5498 (ext 1728)
F. 670-234-0054
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

 

Federated States of Micronesia

Land Area: 702 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 2,978 sq km
Area comparative: 4 times the size of Washington, D.C.

Islands: Pohnpei (Ponape), Truk (Chuuk) Islands, Yap Islands and Kosrae

Population: 103,549 (2013 est.)
GDP per capita: $3,054 (2013 est.)

Aquacultured species: Pohnpei bath sponge, sea cucumber, black pearl oysters

Extension Contact:
Simon Ellis
Land-Grant Program
College of Micronesia
P. 691-320-2462
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Guam

Land Area: 549 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 218 sq km
Area comparative: 3 times the size of Washington, D.C.

Population: 165,124 (2013 est.)
GDP per capita: $15,000 (2005 est.)

Aquaculture production: In 2012, 111 tonnes of seafood were produced from aquaculture.

Aquacultured species: Freshwater prawn, marine shrimp, eel, tilapia, carp, catfish, milkfish, mangrove crab, mullet and ornamental carp.

Extension Contact:
College of Natural and Applied Sciences
University of Guam

Hawaii

Land Area: 16,641 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 2,148 sq km

Islands: Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, Molokai, Lanai, Kauai, Niihau and Kahoolawe

Population: 1.42 million (2014 est.)
GDP per capita: $48,914 (2014)

Aquaculture production: In 2014, Hawaii aquaculture sales reached a record high of $78.2 million. Algae contributed $33.1 million and 42 percent of the sales, while ‘other species’ made up the other 58 percent.

Aquacultured species: Over thirty aquatic plant and animal species are being raised for research or commercial production for food. Some of these include freshwater prawns, marine shrimp, seaweeds, tilapia, catfish, carp, oysters, clams, rainbow trout, salmon, abalone, mahimahi, koi, moi (Pacific threadfin), snails, frogs and microalgae.


Extension Contacts:
Oahu
CTAHR
University of Hawaii, Manoa

Hawai’i
Kevin Hopkins
SeaGrant College Program
University of Hawaii, Hilo
P. 808-933-3290
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Palau

Land Area: 458 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 629 sq km
Area comparative: slightly more than 2.5 times the size of Washington, D.C.

Population: 20,918 (2013 est.)
GDP per capita: $11,810 (2013 est.)

Aquaculture production: Small farms primarily raise mangrove crabs and milkfish.

Aquacultured species: Tilapia, mangrove crab, milkfish, and rabbitfish

Republic of the Marshall Islands

Land Area: 181 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 2,131 sq km
Area comparative: about the size of Washington, D.C.

Population: 52,634 (2013 est.)
GDP per capita: $3,627 (2013 est.)

Aquaculture production: State run hatchery in Majuro is raising moi

Aquacultured species: Giant clam, moi, black pearl oysters, and live rock