Aquaculture of Opihi
August 1, 2014
|Hawaii||$50,000||Oceanic Institute||Zhi Yong Ju, Ph.D.|
Overall Project Goal
The overall objective is to develop technology of producing opihi juveniles for aquaculture.
1. Collect wild, yellowfoot opihi and determine their nutritional profiles and gonadal somatic index (GSI).
2. Induced maturation and spawning through dietary manipulation and hormone injection gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH).
3. Develop laboratory protocol for opihi larvae rearing.
4. Initiate trials for off season spawning.
5. Quality comparison between aquaculture opihi and wild caught opihi.
6. Transfer technology to industries or stakeholders.