Expansion and Diversification of Freshwater Tropical Fish and Ornamental Plants Culture, Year 03
July 1, 1997
|Hawaii||$110,000||University of Hawaii Sea Grant Extension Service and University of Hawaii at Manoa||C. Tamaru, R. Bailey, C. Brown, B. Cole, and H. Ako|
- Amplify and distribute high health broodstock to commercial culturists in Hawaii.
- Confirm stocking densities for at least two ornamental species that result in optimal growth and survival.
- Demonstrate out of season maturation and spawning of at least one freshwater ornamental fish species (i.e. rainbow or redtail sharks).
- Demonstrate optimal stocking densities of one ornamental fish species in a commercially available recirculating system and determine economic feasibility.
- Complete a paper study of aquatic ornamental plants that hold potential for culture in Hawaii.
- Conduct technical workshops, provide on-site extension, verbal consultations and literature to develop ornamental fish culture in Hawaii.