Growout Trials of the Commercially Important Opakapaka, Pristipomoides filamentosus
July 1, 1997
|Hawaii||$30,000||Oceanic Institute and University of Hawaii at Manoa||A.Ostrowski, C. Kelley, and G. Grau|
- Collect 200 live opakapaka juveniles (fork length: 10-24 cm, weight 0.5-1.0 lbs) from their nursery grounds located outside of Kaneohe Bay.
- Maintain the fish at HIMB under quarantine conditions for a period of one month.
- Conduct a series of short-term experiments testing the tolerance of the juveniles to treatments commonly used in fish culture.
- Transport the fish to OI and maintain the fish in an isolated tank for a second quarantine period of one week.
- Conduct a growout experiment to determine the survival and growth rate of juveniles fed either a raw or pelleted diet while being held under either low or ambient lighting conditions.
- Provide farmers with our results as well as updates on our progress via CTSA reports, the submission of at least 1 publication in a refereed journal, and at least 1 newspaper article.