Intensive Microalgae Production
July 1, 2004 - June 30, 2008
|Hawaii||$70,000||Oceanic Institute||C. Laidley|
- Complete industry survey of algal production requirements.
- Generate a current review of available algal bioreactor systems examining costs of setup and operation for publication in CTSA notes.
- Commission pilot-scale algae production system(s) to evaluate actual cost and ease of setup.
- Conduct on-site operation and testing of algal photo-bioreactors with several species of marine and freshwater microalgae.
- Provide education and training to the aquaculture industry through workshops, fact sheets, and continuing education programs at the new Oceanic Institute Learning Center.
Year 2 (contingent on results of Year 1):
- Complete comparative cost analysis of plate and cylinder-based photo-bioreactors for comparison to classical tank-based batch culture production systems.
- Review the performance of algal photo-bioreactors in commercial settings on multiple islands in Hawaii and the Pacific.
- Conduct workshops at multiple sites in Hawaii and the Pacific.
- Establish permanent demonstration systems at the Oceanic Institute Learning Center for continued long-term use in training of industry and students.