Kahala Broodstock Management
July 1, 2006 - September 30, 2008
|Hawaii||$92,500||Oceanic Institute||C. Laidley|
- Design and commission a two-tank recirculating aquaculture system (RAS) for holding kahala broodstock.
- Establish an expanded kahala broodstock population (eight tanks, four at Oceanic Institute and four at Kona Blue) for study of broodstock holding systems.
- Compare broodstock health and performance in flow-through versus water-reuse broodstock holding systems, using either water derived from saltwater wells (OI) or ocean water (KB).
- Evaluate long-term effects of a formulated commercial diet on broodstock health and reproductive performance at both OI and KB.
- Disseminate project findings on kahala broodstock holding conditions through presentation of results at the annual Hawaii Aquaculture Association meeting and through an article in the CTSA newsletter Regional Notes.