Marine Food Fish Seedstock Production, Year 02
July 1, 1999
|Hawaii||$135,000||Oceanic Institute and University of Hawaii at Manoa||A. Ostrowski and P.S. Leung|
- Maintain Pacific threadfin, milkfish, and crimson snapper broodstock.
- Produce 250,000 threadfin and 100,000 milkfish fingerlings for distribution to qualified farmers.
- Refine disease-free certification program for finfish larvae and improve fry quality.
- Begin to domesticate Pacific threadfin for aquaculture and produce a selected line for increased growth.
- Determine cost structure and profitability of milkfish growout in Hawaii.
- Continue phased fry payment schedule and expand program to other areas of the Pacific taking into account site-specific, economic, and genetic considerations.
- Evaluate other bottomfish species as potential aquaculture candidates and develop broodstock capabilities as money and fish become available.