Utilization of Locally Available Algae in the Culture of the Ezo Abalone and Opihi in Hawaii, Years 1 and 2
June 1, 2012
|Hawaii||$194,179||Oceanic Institute and Big Island Abalone Co.||Zhi Yong Ju, Ph.D|
- Establish the culture of P. vietnamensis at BIAC.
- Determine the benefits of P. vietnamensis as a feed and/or supplement on the growth of Ezo. Determine the benefits of P. vietnamensis as a feed in the culture of opihi.
- Test other available macroalgae as potential feeds for opihi.
- Technology Transfer Year 2
- Complete culture cycle of P. vietnamensis at BIAC.
- Implement culture protocols developed for P. vietnamensis on a large scale.
- Determine the cost of production of P. vietnamensis vs. the cost of mollis.
- Determine the cost of producing Ezo based on the diets tested. Evaluate the potential for opihi culture based on the diets tested.
- Technology Transfer