Hawaii

Land Area: 16,641 sq km
EEZ (x1000): 2,148 sq km

Islands: Oahu, Maui, Hawaii, Molokai, Lanai, Kauai, Niihau and Kahoolawe

Population: 1.43 million (2017 est.)
GDP per capita: $51,277 (2016)

Aquaculture production: In 2017, Hawaii aquaculture sales were $76.4 million. Algae contributed $35.2 million and 46 percent of the sales, while ‘other species’ made up the other 54 percent. The peak number of hired workers on the payroll was 462 for 2017, as reported by the producers.

Aquacultured species: Over thirty aquatic plant and animal species are being raised for research or commercial production for food. Some of these include freshwater prawns, marine shrimp, seaweeds, tilapia, catfish, carp, oysters, clams, rainbow trout, salmon, abalone, mahimahi, koi, moi (Pacific threadfin), snails, frogs and microalgae.


Extension Contacts:
Oahu
CTAHR
University of Hawaii, Manoa

Hawai’i
Kevin Hopkins
SeaGrant College Program
University of Hawaii, Hilo
P. 808-933-3290
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)