Developing diets for Hawaii cultured abalone with normal shell color and high growth performance using local algae and their co-products- Years 1 and 2
|Hawaii||$156,000||Oceanic Institute, Big Island Abalone Corp.||Warren Dominy, Ph.D.|
- Identify pigments and analyze the nutrient content contained in Ezo shell, local seaweeds and/or algae co-products and feed ingredients used in making the abalone test diets.
- Formulate two test diets to be fed in combination with and without Pacific dulse.
- Conduct a feeding trial and evaluate the test diets based on growth and pigmentation of Ezo abalone shell. Year 2
- Reformulate abalone test diets to commercially viable feeds without feeding Pacific dulse.
- Evaluate the two (2) diets in a field trial based on growth performance and pigmentation of Ezo abalone shell and an economic evaluation of diets under commercial conditions.
- Conduct a workshop on pigments in abalone shell, seaweed, algae and feed ingredients, abalone feed formulation using local whole algae and algae defatted co-products and abalone feed manufacturing technology.