Development of Captive Culture Technology for the Yellow Tang, Zebrasoma flavescens, Years 1–3
|Hawaii||$300,000||Oceanic Institute||C. Laidley|
- 1. Establish appropriate holding system/conditions for maintaining spawning stocks of yellow tang.
- 2. Develop appropriate diet to maintain broodstock condition and produce high-quality eggs.
- 3. Establish early larval rearing system to maximize larval hatch and early (pre-feeding) survival.
- 4. Identify suitable first feed for yellow tang larvae.
- 5. Scale up culture of identified first feed to level required for conducting replicated larviculture trials.
- 6. Develop larviculture feeding regimen suitable for rearing yellow tang larvae through metamorphosis.
- 7. Develop suitable methods to transition yellow tang into juvenile settlement phase.
- 8. Establish suitable feeds and holding system to ensure juvenile quality suitable for marine ornamental wholesale market.
- 9. Transfer technology to industry through workshops, conference presentations, and publication in CTSA newsletter Regional Notes.