Development of Practical Local Feeds to Support Sustainable Aquaculture in Hawaii and Other Pacific Islands
|Hawaii||$199,297||Oceanic Institute||Dong-Fang Deng, Ph.D.|
- Create a database of local ingredients including levels of nutrient and nutrient digestibility (for selective ingredients) evaluated in tilapia (Year-1) and Pacific thread fin (Year 2).
- Develop scientifically sound feed formulations based on local ingredients for tilapia (Year 1) and Pacific threadfin (Year 2).
- Develop a calibration library of nutrient information for Near-infrared spectroscopy system (NIRS) as a fast and inexpensive tool to measure nutritional parameters in local ingredients or feeds.
- Organize workshops to provide training and research updates on local feeds production for farmers, producers or researchers in Hawaii (Year 1) and Guam (Year 2).
- Technology Transfer: Publish results in Regional Notes by CTSA, present findings at Aquaculture meetings and publish papers in peer reviewed journals or aquaculture magazines.