Economic Feasibility of Aquaculture in the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
|Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands||$30,500||Guam Department of Commerce, University of Guam, and Northern Mariana Islands Division of Fish and Wildlife||W. Fitzgerald, S.G. Nelson, and A. Palacios|
- Identify species appropriate for aquaculture in Saipan, Tinian, and Rota.
- Determine the development and operational costs of the four most likely aquaculture candidates.
- Determine development and operational costs and revenues for a small-scale giant clam hatchery facility at Twekesbury Park (Rota) utilizing the adjacent lagoon for grow-out.
- Identify suitable sites for aquaculture on the islands of Saipan, Tinian, and Rota.
- Determine opportunities and constraints for aquaculture development on Saipan, Tinian, and Rota.
- Identify local and export market opportunities for the above named species.
- Assess local interest in development of aquaculture as a means of economic sustainment.