Giant Clam Extension Support in the Pacific Islands, Year 01
|Federated States of Micronesia||$100,000||College of Micronesia||C. Crawford|
- Achieve, demonstrate and document economy of scale in giant clam seed production at the MMDC hatchery in Palau.
- Prepare the site, order, and install 48 clam culture pools, seawater pumps and plumbing.
- Increase the annual production capacity of the MMDC Hatchery to 500,000 10-mm clams and 100,000 50-mm clams.
- Supply existing markets and develop new markets for hatchery products such as seed clams, aquarium clams, broodstock clams, sashimi clams, clam culture equipment and specimen shells.
- Provide services such as regional training, extension and consulting on a fee basis.
- Reduce MMDC’s wholesale production costs.
- Function as a commercially viable demonstration and research hatchery.
- Achieve financial break-even point by end of FY89.
- Achieve profitability in FY89, with gross receipts of $100,000