Reproduction and Selective Breeding of Pacific Threadfin
|Hawaii||$100,000||Oceanic Institute||C. Laidley|
Support efforts to develop a self-sustaining marine food fish aquaculture industry in Hawaii and ultimately, the Pacific region, by providing the technologies necessary to improve the genetic and overall reproductive management of Pacific threadfin broodstock.
- Complete methods development for pair spawning of Pacific threadfin for application to the genetic selection efforts.
- Establish and maintain domesticated and selected Pacific threadfin broodstock lines.
- Conduct controlled spawning of select broodstock lines to generate select seedstock for growth performance evaluation.
- To complete life cycle of growth-selected and control lines of Pacific threadfin and determine direct effects of selection on growth performance, and indirect effects on survival, reproductive development, and generation time.
- Gain estimate of heritability for growth and indirect effects on survival, dressing percentage, and reproduction in Pacific threadfin.
- Initiate research on water reuse technology to protect selected broodstock lines from pathogenic exposure and to decrease on-site water consumption.